Sunday, December 15, 2013

Change is Good!

I haven't been posting as much as usual - you may have noticed!  The reason?  The amount of change in my work life recently!

Many of you know that I am an Instructional Coach in an elementary school.  At least, I WAS - at the beginning of this school year!  Due to a drop in enrollment at our campus, we lost 4 teachers in late September.  Classes were split up and reassigned to existing teachers. The only classes that couldn't be split up were a morning and afternoon kindergarten, therefore, I was reassigned to half-day Kindergarten with 55 students.  

The teacher who was teaching the classes left on a Thursday afternoon and I took over the class on Friday morning.  Just to clarify, she did not lose her job, she was reassigned to another school that had a high enrollment and needed teachers to reduce class size.  

When I walked into the room afterschool on Thursday, I was greeted by empty bulletin boards and very few supplies.  The crayons, scissors, glue, etc.  were in styrofoam bowls. Apparantly the containers belonged to her and she took them to her new school, which I totally understood.  What confused me was why she took their nametags!  I worked in the room until 9:00 and called it quits.  I was exhausted!  

The next day, I greeted my two classes and did my best to learn names!  Fortunately, I had been working with this teacher as a Coach, so the kiddos knew me.  

So, I hit the ground running, decorating the room, setting up rules and routines, and assessing the abilities of my students.  Before I knew it, I had to prepare for Parent/Teacher Conferences, Halloween, and report cards!  

Somewhere, in the midst of all of this, my principal pulled me aside and told me it looked like we were going to be assigned a new Kindergarten Teacher to reduce class size.  I was floored!  How was I going to choose the students for a new class?  They didn't need any more change!  After some thought, my principal decided not to create a new class.  Since I had a fabulous Observation Student, who was also a Substitute Teacher for the district, she would take over my classes with me as her mentor.  I would be reassigned (again) as the Intervention/Enrichment Teacher for Kindergarten.  

The parents were given a letter right after Thanksgiving and I spent some time explaining how beneficial this would be for their children.  The past 2 weeks have been spent co-teaching/mentoring Ms. H. (the new teacher), planning for my new position, and setting-up a new classroom.  Yes, my principal wanted me to set up a new classroom - even though I wouldn't have a class of my own.  

Tomorrow, I officially begin my 3rd job this school year!  Wish me luck - and pray that this job lasts until the end of the school year.  I don't think I can make another change!!

Things are calming down (yes, I truly believe this) and I have some more crafty things to share with you!  Be sure to stop back again soon!

4 comments:

Georgiana said...

Oh my gosh! Your year has been crazy. I can only imagine what will happen in the second semester! Good luck! At least kids are resilient!

Happy Holidays,
Georgiana
• Carson's Creations •

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Oh my...such is the life of a public school teacher! 55 K students split between morning and afternoon is a huge class size! Although I now am at a high school, our grade school K classes are maxed at 16. God bless you for all you do with the kids....it is a difficult job, but at least for me, I could not imagine a different career. In fact, my daughter will begin elementary education student teaching in January! Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Jane

Haley D. said...

Thank you for all that you're doing for the students at your school! I can only begin to imagine how stressful this year has been. Here's to smoother sailing! Best wishes!

Ann said...

Thanks, Ladies! Stay tuned - you never know what adventure will come along next!