Monday, September 9, 2013

Ice Cream Parlor Chairs Meet the Farm Table

Let me start this post by saying I love all things old - vintage - antique.  Ice Cream Parlor Chairs have been a favorite since I was a little girl.  I've had one since that time, but have always wanted a set.  Recently, I've also had the desire for a Farm Table - but have you seen the prices on those things?!  Being a "Thrifty Gal" , I decided there was more than one way to skin a cat!

While "antiquing", I came across this set of 4 chairs:
I managed to get them for a good price, so they came home with me.  They sat in the garage for a bit, while I went in search of the farm table.  I kept watching Craigs List and found this table:
Again, a good price, so it came home with me.  This pic was taken after we removed the legs to fit it in our vehicle.  Yes, I'm going to need a truck f I keep this up!  Did you notice the shape of the legs?  They just screamed, "Yes, I can be a Farm Table"!!!

When I got it home, my sander and I got right to work!  I'm pretty sure there were 25 coats of that orangy stain/poly, but my trusty sander cut through it!  Here's a peek of it when I got down to the bare wood:
This is also my "Glamour Shot".  You know - hair a mess, covered in sawdust and sweat - it was over 100 degrees that day!

I spray painted the legs and the skirt with white paint.  I debated on distressing the them and decided not to - for now!  I reserve the right to change my mind!  I stained the top with walnut stain, reattached the legs, and, this is what I had:
I needed to protect the top and had read about Polycrylic on a few different sites.  So, I decided to give it a try.  I had never used it before, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised!  It brushed on easily, dried quickly, and clean-up was a breeze with just soap and water.  This table ended up with 3 coats.

The table has been in use for about 3 months now, and the finish is holding up very well!
My husband volunteered to spray paint the chairs white.  Here's a close-up of one of the chairs:

The final look?  Here ya go...

Now, I know you just counted and came up with 6 chairs, not the four in the original picture.  Well, I bought 2 others.  They aren't a perfect match, but close enough!

I absolutely LOVE my new table and chairs and I'm hoping that. someday (hopefully soon), they will live in a vintage house!  Wish me luck on that one!

Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you'll come back again soon!

                Domestically Speaking Paint Party









4 comments:

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Oh my gosh! Gorgeous! I just adore ice cream parlor chairs....love how you paired them with your wonderful farm table. Thx for stopping by my blog today! Jane

Haley D. said...

What beautiful results! Your stain and paint choices are a huge improvement. You've got a lovely set now.

Bridie Payne said...

Oh this looks fantastic! It looks like a really high end piece you've spent a fortune on.

Thanks for giving me a kick up the bum, I really should get my rocking chair stripped down to bare wood and back to beautiful.

Thank you so much for leaving a lovely comment on my blog

Happy Crafting!

Hugs Bridie@BGPayne Crafts

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

your table looks gorgeous and love it paired with those chairs!