Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Two Books to Share

I've recently read two new books.  With the extreme heat we've been experiencing, staying inside is the only option.  The first book is Maids of Misfortune by M. Louisa Locke:
Maids of Misfortune (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1)

This is a Victorian-era mystery that was fairly predictable.  The main character, Annie, runs a boarding house in San Francisco and makes extra money by giving advice as a clairvoyant.  The mystery ensues when one of her clients dies suddenly.  This book was enjoyable, but, I don't think I will continue to read the series.

The next book, Look Again by Lisa Scottoline was an excellent read!  My friend, Becky at Scrappin' Becky B recommended it.
The story begins when the main character, Ellen, sees a missing child flyer with a picture that looks just like her adopted son.  She almost throws it away, but she can't shake the idea that the missing boy is actually her son.  She begins her own investigation and, well, I don't want to give it away!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and finished it in 2 days.  I plan to read more of Lisa Scottoline's books - probably soon, since our heat-wave isn't showing signs of breaking!  This is one way to get through my Summer Bucket List!

2 comments:

Becky B. said...

YEAH!! So glad you liked the book "Look Again" - it was great, wasn't it?? (Also, thanks for the shout out!) Right now I'm finishing up the 3rd book in the Philippa Gregory trilogy about the Cousin's War, which is also known as the War of the Roses. Excellent reads as well, if you like British historical fiction. :) Been watching on the news the awful heat wave that you all are having out there - be careful not to get over heated! Fortunately the weather is WONDERFUL here this week...highs only in the 80's and very little humidity, which is almost unheard of in OK for July! Take care and have a fun and safe 4th of July! :)

Ann said...

I agree, it was a great book! I'll have to check out the Philippa Gregory Trilogy!
The hear is AWFUL here! It's supposed to break in a couple of days - it will still be triple digits, but under 110!! We call that cooler HAHAHA!! You have a great 4th too!