Friday, July 26, 2013

Piece of Cake!


Let me guess, you were expecting a new recipe, weren't you?  Even though the cake may look good enough to eat, you wouldn't be too happy once you took a bite because it's made of......
...a sponge!
I was so excited about this project that I forgot to take most of the pictures!  That's OK, though, I have a few and a link to help you out! Let's get started on the "how-to".

Since this was a large rectangular sponge, I cut in in half to make two squares.  Using a serrated knife, I cut each square diagonally to make the slices of "cake".  With a craft knife, I cut a center groove, leaving my slice to look like this:

You may notice that the edge is nice and even.  Yes, I trimmed it.  There were other pieces that didn't have a perfect edge:
I think this makes for a more realistic piece of cake, don't you?

Next, I spray painted the sponges. (Sorry, no pics)  The original tutorial doesn't tell you this, but you need to spray at all different angles in order to get all the nooks and crannies.  When they are dry, glue (I used E-6000) a piece of cardstock to one side.  This is very important, because YOU CAN SEND THESE THROUGH THE MAIL!  How cool is THAT?

Now, you need to frost your cake.  Grab a tube of caulk and have at it!  Here's what I used:
I used it right out of the tube.
  
I ran a line in the groove and then swirled some on the 2 edges that would normally be the top and side of the cake.  Be sure to wrap a little around the edge of the cardstock.  All that was left to do was let it dry.  

I gave 2 of these to friends and one was mailed (yes, it was a 'hit' at the post office!). Maybe they will comment and let us know what they thought of them!

I found the original post on Pinterest and you can see it HERE.  I like the sponge that she used better, but, I used what was available.  I hope you'll give this project a try, it really was a lot of fun!

And did I mention you can send them through the mail?!?!?!








4 comments:

Haley D. said...

Very cute! Our school secretary made a sponge cake (w/pieces of sponges and real frosting). You should have seen the faculty as some tried to eat her cake! Terrible but true!

Katie said...

I was the lucky person to get a piece of cake in the mail. It was so fun and made my day. I can't wait to make a few of these my own. Now I am going to have to start hoarding sponges.

Tammy Kralick said...

I loved getting my cake. Looked so realistic...and delicious. I've gotta try and make some of these;)

Betsy said...

this really takes the cake! this is awesome!