Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wine Cork Wreath

In case you missed it, here's the tutorial from my Guest Post at The Ivy Cottage.

Hello, Everyone!  My name is Ann and you will find me over at Ann's
This is my little piece of the blogging world where I share the things I love to create. Stop by sometime, I love making new friends! 

I am a wife, a mom, a teacher and a hopeless collector.  There's nothing I like better than snooping around flea markets, antique shops, estate sales, and junk shops - there is always a wonderful treasure to be found!  In addition, I love to papercraft, refinish, and repurpose old things to be used in my home.  That being said, let's get started with today's project:

The Wine Cork Wreath

Now, if you're anything like me, you've been saving wine corks for forever because there is a fabulous project that you will just HAVE to make with them.  The problem is, you haven't found it yet! Have no fear, your project is here!

To get started, you will need lots of these:
How many, you ask?  I estimate that I used between 200 and 250 corks. 

You will also need a straw wreath, like this:
Don't forget to remove the plastic!

This next step is extremely important!

Wrap some wire around the wreath and make a loop for hanging.  There is nothing worse than getting your wreath all done and then say to yourself, "Hmmm, how the heck do I hang this thing!?!

Now you're ready to get started.  Be sure to cover your work surface to protect it.  I used a lovely old vinyl tablecloth that I had laying around.  You know the one - you look at it and say, "I actually bought this  -  What was I thinking?!"  It's OK, it's perfect for catching all of that hot glue that drips!
Plug in the glue gun, put the straw wreath on the lovely vinyl table cloth and start gluing corks around the outer edge.


Contine to glue them on until you have a layer of corks on the inner and outer edge of the wreath.


In this photo, you can see the wire I attached for hanging.

Continue with two more layers and a layer across the top:

This forms the base of the wreath. You'll notice that I used the corks that I had a lot of.  You want to save the interesting ones for the top, where they'll be seen.  I also used the the "non-cork" corks.  If you are a wine drinker, I'm sure you've noticed that many wines are using plastic instead of cork as stoppers.

Now for the fun part!  Start gluing corks randomly on the wreath. 

If you look closely, you can see some of those corks that I used as the base.

When you are done, your wreath will look something like this:
The last thing left is embellishing!  I decided to add some grapes and a simple bow.  You choose.  The best part about it is:  if you don't like it, remove it and add something else!


Voila! You have a beautiful wreath to hang on the wall and you used up those corks you've been saving!  I also made a wall hanging with corks, but that's a story for another day!  I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial.  If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.  You can find me over at http://www.annsnovemberrose.blogspot.com/.


3 comments:

Haley D. said...

Gorgeous! I would seriously love one of these, but I am not yet at the 200-250 cork goal. Working on it, but not there yet. (Thanks for a number amount, because I had no idea how many I would need.)

Brenda Frerichs said...

I am really WOWed by this wreath. It really makes a statement. Hmmmmm. I'm told a glass a day is good for one's health. I wonder what my husband would think if I told him we needed to start drinking wine because there's a cool craft project I want to create. :-)

Ann said...

Haley - enlist friends for help!
Brenda - we all make sacrifices for our crafts!
LOL!
Thanks, Ladies!!!!