Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Ornament With Bonus Manicure!

Yes, you read it correctly.  There is a bonus manicure!  But first, let me show you the ornaments:
This technique is all over the internet.  I think I saw it on Pinterest (If you're interested in joining Pinterest, just send me your e-mail!) But, right now, I want to show you how to make these ornaments!
First, you need a small bowl, toothpicks, and some water.  I found room temperature worked best!


Choose your nailpolish colors and you're ready to get started!

Working quickly, add drops of nailpolish to the water:


With a toothpick, push and pull the polish into your desired design:


 
Dip your clear glass ornament into the bowl:

Pull it out, and voila! A very cool design has been left on the ornament!
Now, I must confess.  The design does not match from photo to photo.  I was trying to do this quickly and snap photos!  So, it took several tries to get all of the steps.  I also tried a pearl nailpolish in place of the white for some of the ornaments - just in case you were wondering!
This was a lot of fun.  Now, there were some that I just didn't like, so I took nailpolish remover to them and redid them! 
These make a great little gift for someone.  I hope you give it a try!
 
No, honestly, I didn't forget the manicure!  Now, don't be too critical.  It was my first try and the edges aren't the greatest!  But here ya' go:
The kiddos at school love them!
The technique is the same one used on the ornaments, but I have one trick to share. Dip a cotton swab in petroleum jelly and trace around your nail.  Spread it up to your joint, too.  That way, when you dip your nail in the bowl and your finger (as well as your nail) is covered with nailpolish, it cleans off easily by wiping it away with the dry end of the cotton swab! Pretty smart, huh?!

7 comments:

Chrissy said...

WOW!! Fabulous project...love the Christmas baubles, oh! how the imagination could soar...I wonder if you added glitter to the water what would happen, maybe after, the glitter might sink...what a fun idea..love the nails gorgeous.
Well, there goes my one and only glass bowl..lol..filling it now for my nails..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Paige Dolecki said...

Ann -

What a great idea! I'm with the kids at school - love those marbelized nails!

Paige

Sheila Bennett said...

Love the look on your fingernails!

Ann said...

Awww, Thanks, Ladies!
Chrissy, did you have to mention glitter? Now, I have to try it! I'll keep you posted!

Kathleen said...

Super cool ornaments!!

Becky B. said...

Another BRILLIANT idea!!! Love the ornament and the nails!!

Addie said...

I've been doing the marble nail technique a lot these days, one thing that helps me is using scotch tape around my nails and up my finger... maybe this will work for you too!