Sunday, August 21, 2011

Estate Sale Finds - Update

If you remember the Estate Sale I went to this summer, you'll remember the sad little chair and table that I brought home.  Well, they have a new life now and I thought I'd share them with you.

Let's start with that table.  The finish was completely ruined:
Fortunately, my palm sander, Dremel tool, poly-stain, and some elbow grease made it look like this:

Much better, don't you think?

Now, the chair's finish wasn't so bad. 

I just cleaned it with some Murphy's Oil Soap and gave it a few coats of lemon oil.  The worst part of the chair was the seat.  The cushion was completely worn out.  When I removed it, the foam cushion was turning to powder.  A new foam cushion, some fabric from the remnant bin, and this little chair has a new life:

I have this picture in my mind of a Victorian lady sitting near a window on this chair. 

This was the easier of the two projects. 
I'm linking this post to Primitive and Proper .  Check it out to see some amazing furniture refinishing projects!
Since it's almost time to head back to school, I figured I better get this post done so you could see that I actually did accomplish something this summer!  Now, I need a new project.  Time to search for another Estate Sale!


6 comments:

Becky B. said...

Fabulous!! You TOTALLY scored on these estate sale finds and you did a terrific job of breathing new life into them! Bet they look fab in your home! :)

Haley D. said...

Both projects are wonderful! I can't believe how amazing they look now. I have a chair almost idential to yours- I really need to do something about the seat. You've definitely inspired me to try.

Brenda Frerichs said...

Very, very cool. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. :-)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that table cleaned up beautifully!

Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanne said...

Amazing! What a great job you did, they look fantastic! Love the fabric you used on the chair, very nice!!!