Monday, June 27, 2011

Estate Sale Finds

Those of you that know me, know I can't pass up a good yard/garage/junk/estate sale!  Well, I dragged my darling hubby to an estate sale this weekend and got some great things!  Here is item #1:
I remember a chair like this from when I was a child - except it was painted.  I like this one SO much better.  Today I took the seat off and the cushion was turning to powder.  It will get a new cushion.  Here's a close up of the flower detail:
Isn't that just gorgeous?

Now this little beauty is going to be a bedside table after I do a little work!
As you can see, it NEEDS a little work. Now, all of those marks that look like someone hasn't dusted in months are actually part of the finish.  Here's a close-up:
Weird, huh?  Well, it's nothing my palm sander and I can't handle!

Moving on to item #3:
I just LOVE this little scale!  It's dated 1906, and, yes, it does still work.  I tested it with a pound of butter and it was accurate!

The problem with these items is that they lived in a smoker's house.  I'm planning to start cleaning them with Murphy's Oil Soap and go from there.  Getting the smoke smell out will be a challenge.  Any and all ideas are welcome!

Now, you may be asking yourself, what did her hubby get out of this deal?  Welllllllll, When we went upstairs, I found him this:


Honestly, these pictures mean nothing without this one:

Yes, it really is twelve inches high.  Have you seen the movie Beerfest?  If you have, I don't need to say anything else!  If you haven't seen it, I'm not sure you're missing much! 

And, no, he hasn't filled it ------  yet!



1 comment:

Becky B. said...

Fantastic finds - you really scored, girl!! The carved flower detail on the chair is just gorgeous...be sure to post photos after you've referbished everything!